Tuesday, August 22, 2017

CASE STUDY: Security in Theory versus Security in Practice

Yesterday evening, as I approached my vehicle after a long (Mon)day with dry cleaning in one hand and my laptop bag in the other, I realized that my rear, driver-side tire was as flat as a pancake / crêpe. Fun times, especially since I parked on an incline!
After jacking up that side of the vehicle, and wrestling with the lug nuts, I was introduced to what I now know (thank you Google) is a security lock nut. Yes, I am mechanically challenged! 
After being unable to find anything in my vehicle that resembled a tool capable of removing said physical security safeguard, I called the dealership. Well, said nut (and the ability to remove it) is like a laser key, which is customized to each particular vehicle! Thankfully, a repair shop was across the street.
Research and interviews (e.g., my Lyft driver that evening, blogs) have shown that many drivers have lost or never received the tool(s) to remove a security lock nut, and therefore multiple individuals (such as myself) now ask: why? The answer is that this nut is a physical safeguard to negate stolen tires / rims / wheels. However, flat tires happen and people lose stuff.
So, learn from my experience. Before introducing the next great physical / logical / digital safeguard, think practically and verify whether or not that control is useful in practice / the field. Be pragmatic and kick the proverbial tires!

No comments:

Post a Comment